Sunday, June 20, 2010

Travel Q&A: Language Barrier Concerns

Question: "I am due to go on holiday to China next month, but I'm getting increasingly concerned about the language barrier. I can muddle through in languages that at least use the English letters, but Chinese uses symbols I just don't understand. How do I deal with a language barrier like this, considering I don't have time to learn and I don't really understand the text books anyway?"

Answer:

This is a major concern for tourists who visit countries where not only the language is different, but the letters are too. After all, most of us can understand that the word 'policia' means 'police' (for example), as we can understand the letters and the general sound they make. This, however, does not apply in countries like China and Japan where the letters are different from Roman letters.

If you really cannot learn the language due to time frame, it's best not to try to. It's also worth acknowledging you're not going to grasp the letters, so instead focus on spoken phrases. You should be able to find the Chinese for essential phrases such as "I need a doctor" and "I don't speak Chinese, do you speak English?" which means you'll be able to deal with a worst-case-scenario and inform people of your language problems.

Mostly, though, there's no need to worry. English is spoken all over the world and the Chinese tourism industry is well placed to deal with non-Chinese speakers, so try not to fret too much. Learn those essential phrases, and perhaps look in to learning the language fully in future!

No comments:

Google